Sunday, March 13, 2011

Living it up

This is an excerpt from my PMSD book report.

Now, I’m a student nurse going through duties, case studies, ward classes and a whole bunch of stress and maybe – just maybe I’m starting to fall in love with the course. I’ve tried asking friends if they could see me as a nurse in the future and most of them say that they don’t or can be. I never actually got an affirmative “yes” to that question. Most of them say that I’m more of a person on the commanding side – someone who is independent and can work alone but still be excellent. I’ve thought about what others say and it made me realize that they say I can’t become a nurse because the see nursing in a totally different angle. Nursing, as how others perceive it – is just the act of following doctor’s orders. But in reality, it’s very, very far from that. Actually, with the subjects and the things that we are learning right now, it’s already like we’re studying medicine itself. I honestly have been thinking twice if this profession is really for me because the work load of being a nurse is more than what I can take. Being a student nurse is tiring – it drains up all your energy and it entails a lot of sacrifices. There are even times when I wonder what reward I get from all of this. Nursing isn’t even a highly paid job in the Philippines.

In the story, Tilda has inspired me to keep on moving forward and to just go on. Sometimes, life gives you trials and challenges which may seem so impossible to solve but one way or another you get through them anyway. Then, at one point in time you’ll realize that these are only tests to make you better. Tilda has taught me that nursing is a rewarding personal endeavour. Nursing doesn’t give you the bucks and the golds. But through the service of caring for people who are complete strangers to you and being at their sides at most difficult time, that’s when your minds open to the fact that fame and fortune are incomparable to the self fulfilment and love you get from nursing. Moreover, Tilda has inspired to be hopeful. For nurses, suffering and death aren’t form of hopelessness. For us, providing comfort, promoting their well being and not treating them any less of a human is what makes our job hopeful. More importantly, she inspired me that in nursing, it’s all about loving the work you do because when you learn how to love all else transpires.

No comments:

Post a Comment