Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Resolutions

My New Year Resolutions are those you can probably find in everyone's. It's not something kakaiba. I actually wrote em down on my planner so I can read them everyday and I'm posting it here so that you can constantly remind me, if ever, i mean in any way you can :P

1. Lose Weight

My number one resolution every year haha and believe me, I'm getting heavier every month. And that's something I have to control coz my BMI is this close to overweight. I just need to lose some extra pounds in there and i'm good. I know I'm making it sound easy but I know that you'll agree with me if I say that losing weight is the toughest challenge ever. It's never easy. It entails a lot of sacrifices (which I'm willing to take). But no worries because I don't intend to crash diet, well hopefully (because i associate diet to not eating anything at all). I don't want to have an eating disorder and end up in the hospital at the end of the year. Note to self: Diet is eating healthy not dying of hunger.

2. Drink more water, less coffee

Everyone who knows me can justify that I'm caffeine addict. I can't work without coffee in my system. It became such a habit and the psychological effect (that drinking coffee will fuel me up especially for studying) adds to it so goodluck with that. This is actually harder than losing weight because I can survive a day without eating my favorite food but I cannot, I REPEAT, icannot live a day without a sip of coffee. So I wrote there less rather than noting at all because, honestly, coffee is a great help during my "all nighters" or when I'm stressed. I still don't know how less is less, though. suggestions? :> Anyway, I need to love water this year. I've been so addicted to coffee and iced tea that I can just live a day without water, which isn't supposed to be. So yeah, more water... as in 10 glasses of water a day. It's healthier and it doesn't stain my teeth (unlike coffee).

3. Save money and keep track of your spending

I'm not good with money...actually I'm very bad at handling money. Once I know I have the money to spend, i just go vavaboom and the next thing I know there' nothing left to save. I know, it's unacceptable especially at my age where I'm supposed to be learning how to save for whatever reasons (for med school?!). I get more than enough allowance a day but I still can't get myself to spare some money in my wallet. Yeah, I usually end the week empty handed. If i save money and become like the thriftiest person in the world, I could probably afford to buy a pair of shoes or three decent branded clothes. Also, I need to keep track of my spending to make sure that I only buy the things I need and not those that I want. I'm half blaming Starbucks for this (so i'm trying to tell myself to just go to Starbucks every Sundays which is unideal because there's a freakin' SB store right in front of my school. Whatever, I'll just pretend it doesn't exist) because most of my allowance go there. The other half of the blame is me, for not learning how to resist the temptations most especially for food. So, Sydney, save your freakin' money.

4. Increase your knowledge

They say knowledge is power, knowledge is everything. It'll help you go forward and it'll make you successful in the future. I grew up with people telling me that studying is the only key in order to have a good future. If you have a big brain, big companies will want you. If you have a small brain, small institutions will think twice first then accept you. I used to believe that in highschool, although i never really achieved awards back then but it was the driving force behind my passion for studying. I worked my butt off because I want to be successful and rich. I wanted to be on top. But that thinking faded slowly when I realized that having "a brain" isn't really the way to that brighter future. A lot of people who didn't finish college are living the good life. People say it's fate; if that's meant for you, accept it. But i don't believe in fate... itself. I don't believe in just sitting there and waiting for your fate to unfold. And I'm also not saying that I or you should stop studying because finishing college and having a degree is better than having none at all. I remember my healthEco professor who told one of my classmates (who said that she wants to become a housewife, so why bother to even study?) "what?! so you want to be a mangmang housewife? Which made a lot of sense. Just because we want to be this someone in the future doesn't mean we should stop learning something that is not related to it because we'll never really know when we can apply the things we learn in class in the future.

I realized that getting my way to that brighter future entails more that that of having good grades. My mom would always tell me not to pressure myself with my studies because based on her experiences, grades don't even define half of who you are.

(this is getting way too long, I know. I'm not a writer and i dont know how to explain myself well through writing so bare with me, I'm trying to learn :P)

The bottom line is that, When life gives me an opportunity to learn and experience more things, grab it! Knowledge is present everywhere ( it's on TV, it's in school, it's on the road, it's in my room) and I shouldn't be wasting my time looking for a reason why i shouldn't learn things. I believe that knowledge is a gift and it's just up to us if we want to leave it under the Christmas tree or open it up, use and apply em in our daily lives. Learning is beautiful and sharing what you know to others is a wonderful experience.

5. Stop making fun of people's imperfections. Learn to appreciate everyone's uniqueness.

I never knew i would be one of those people who would make fun of others simply because they're something "wrong" with them. I blame the environment in general. It's hard to survive in a place or in a crowd where people think it's okay to be mean because they influence you to be one of them. It's against my nature or it's not me, bullying (in whatever sense or way) isn't my thing and i hate the fact that I unconsciously became one. I feel guilty. Honestly, I've been in both ways; I've been the source of "we want to insult someone because we want to have fun" and I've been the bitchy person who thinks she's all mighty and above everyone else. Being the latter is so much worse. A post in Tumblr says "I'm sorry for passing my judgement instead of extending Love", and I couldn't help but reblog it because I've been the judgmental person everyone would like to hate last year. I intend to change the monster inside me even if it means that the people Ive been hanging around with wouldn't like me as much.



No comments:

Post a Comment